The 6 Best Junior Golf Clubs to Set Your Kids up for SuccessPublished on 09/05/2023 · 10 min readEquip your kids for golf success with the best junior clubs. This Expert guide ensures you choose the right equipment for their budding skills!
Playing in a best ball tournament with my Dad last year. Photo by John Archibald
I always tell people I was the luckiest junior golfer on the planet. I had supportive parents who gave me opportunities to succeed without adding the pressure that often comes along with that. I met my first golf coach on a putting green at Simi Hills Golf Course when I was 8 years old, wearing baggy jean shorts, a Nike polo, and a Top Flite hat that was signed by all the top pros, including Tiger Woods. I had just gotten back from watching them stripe the ball at Riviera Country Club and wanted nothing more than to do what they do.
To my great fortune, a golf coach named Rudy Duran started up a conversation with my dad and me about my game. It was all very casual, and I was excitedly trying to show off my putting skills to anyone who would watch, especially a coach! Rudy sensed my excitement for the game and challenged me to a putting contest. I don’t remember who won, but I remember having fun. Little did I know, I was having a putting contest with Tiger Woods's first junior coach.
Rudy and my family developed a great relationship over the years. I contribute much of my success in the golf world to him. He especially assisted in helping my family and I understand the importance of fitted clubs. This was 1998, manufacturers' club fitting for juniors was almost obsolete, and his guidance helped set a foundation for my swing that carries on today.
I can now help junior golfers and their parents that I coach or see play in tournaments with their golf club choices. Today, there are more choices than ever before to ensure your junior is fit correctly regardless of skill level or budget. My recommendations below will get you and your junior off to a great start or continue their journey in this great game.
Junior Clubs to Get Started
If you are just getting your junior into the game, I would start with a junior complete golf club set. They give you the bang for your buck and have the right fitting support you need to get started.
The EPEC 7-Club Junior Golf Set, available in a right-handed, graphite configuration for juniors sized 45”- 62”, is a solid choice for young golfers looking to embark on their golfing journey. EPEC takes a personalized approach to its complete golf club sets by offering adjustable options that can grow with the child. This set includes an 18° driver, 29° hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, sand wedge, and blade putter, covering what any junior needs on the course.
The graphite shafts are ultralight and easy to swing, helping young golfers develop proper mechanics. The EPEC 7-Club Set gives juniors a fitting that will adapt to their growth and evolving skill levels, making it one of the better investments for parents.
- Upgrades for adjustability: The set's shaft lengths, iron heads, bag (sold separately), and metal wood heads can be upgraded as juniors grow in height and strength.
- Comprehensive club selection: You can choose from 3, 5, 7, and 9 club sets. I recommend going with the 7-club set as it covers the essential clubs needed for various situations on the golf course.
- Graphite shaft benefits: The ultralight shafts used in the EPEC set promote a smoother and more controlled swing. It’s particularly beneficial for young golfers still building their strength and coordination.
- Higher initial investment: The set's adjustability and customization come at a cost, making it a relatively higher initial investment than non-adjustable junior sets.
- Limited bag included: The set does not come with a golf bag, which means parents or guardians might need to purchase a separate bag to carry and protect the clubs.
The U.S. Kids Golf clubs are a testament to the brand's dedication to junior golfers and providing them with the right tools to succeed. The company started when I was 8 years old (1997) and impacted the game with clubs and tournaments worldwide. I was fortunate enough to qualify for their World Championship in 1998. I will never forget that memory of my dad caddying. We got 4th place, and it felt like a professional experience. They even had an electric scoreboard!
With a focus on fitting clubs to a junior golfer's specific needs, U.S. Kids offers an extensive range of clubs designed for different age groups and skill levels. Their clubs are engineered with lightweight materials to ensure that young players can develop proper swing mechanics without unnecessary strain. The brand's commitment to promoting the joy of golf while prioritizing appropriate club sizing and quality craftsmanship makes U.S. Kids an easy choice for parents seeking guidance on junior golf equipment.
- Easy to follow fitting: The most comprehensive junior golf club fitting website out there that can take your junior from entry level to elite tournament level clubs.
- Quality: High-quality clubs with durable materials.
- Limited availability: Depending on location, U.S. Kids Golf clubs may not be as readily available as more widely recognized brands, making them harder to find in local stores.
The Tour Edge HL-J Junior Golf Clubs are a great option for young players seeking to hone their skills on the course. This set linked above includes five clubs—a 15° driver, 21° fairway wood, 29° hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, and mallet putter—encompassing all clubs needed for a beginner to intermediate junior golfer. These clubs feature lightweight graphite shafts that facilitate smooth swings and optimal control. The included stand bag makes it the best deal of all the clubs I reference.
However, potential buyers should consider factors such as customization options, the specified age range, and the possibility of outgrowing the set when determining if these junior clubs align with their needs and expectations.
- All-inclusive: The Tour Edge HL-J Junior set comes with a quality set and stand bag, making it a great deal and an awesome gift for a junior golfer looking for their first set.
- Progressive lightweight shafts: Lightweight technology is progressive through each set, so the match is already there when you decide to upgrade.
- Limited customization: While the Tour Edge HL-J Junior set offers a comprehensive selection of clubs, it might lack the adjustability and customization options available in some other junior golf club sets.
- Potential outgrowing: As junior golfers grow and develop, they might outgrow the clubs in this set in terms of height and skill level, potentially necessitating an upgrade to a more advanced set.
The Robin Golf Junior Essentials 7-Club Golf Set has multiple options tailored for junior golfers’ heights ranging from 44”-53” and 54”-64”. It’s a good choice for introducing young players to the world of golf. I like the branding of this set, and we have many of our younger junior golfers loving Robin Golf right now. This set provides the essential clubs needed for a foundational golfing experience, including a 15° driver, 27° hybrid, 7-iron, 9-iron, sand wedge, and blade putter. The inclusion of a bag and headcovers gives the complete package to protect and carry their equipment, making for a great gift.
- Branding: The clubs, bag, and headcovers look great. I love the simple aesthetics.
- Comprehensive set: With seven essential clubs included, from a driver to a putter, this set equips young players with the tools they need to learn and practice various shots.
- Convenient package for gifts: The set comes complete with a bag and head covers, allowing junior golfers to keep their clubs organized and protected while on the course or during transportation.
- Large fitting gaps: Robin Golf has the largest fitting gaps (10”) of any brand mentioned here, making it less customizable for the junior golfer.
Junior Clubs for the Intermediate/Advanced Player
If your junior is starting to play tournaments and showing promise of wanting to take their skills to a more competitive level, I recommend these sets below. They are made by top manufacturers who build some of the best golf clubs on the planet, and I trust them to do the same with your junior clubs.
The Callaway X Junior Complete Set is an excellent choice for young golfers looking to develop their skills and enjoy the game. This package includes a well-crafted graphite junior blue-gray club set designed specifically for junior players. The clubs are engineered to provide junior golfers with the right balance of forgiveness and performance, helping them achieve better swings and accurate shots as they learn and grow in the sport.
The three-level set, which I like for junior golfers as they will feel like they are “leveling up.” They have 6” height range gaps at each level, giving a great fit for junior golfers.
- Tailored for juniors: The Callaway X Junior Complete Set is specifically designed for junior players, ensuring clubs that have the right length, weight, and flex for young golfers to swing comfortably and effectively.
- Quality construction: Callaway is known for its quality golf equipment; this junior club set is no exception. The clubs are made with precision and attention to detail, promising durability and consistent performance.
- Brand recognition: They get to play the same brand as some of their favorite pros, like John Rahm!
- Cost: Quality golf equipment can be expensive, and this junior club set might be considered relatively pricey.
- Limited Customization: While the set provides a range of clubs, it might offer a different degree of customization than more advanced players might desire.
The Rory Kids Set, offered by TaylorMade Golf, is an excellent choice for young golfers who want to enhance their skills and enjoy the game. I don’t think I would have played golf as a kid if it weren’t for Tiger Woods, and the same can be said for today's juniors regarding Rory McIlroy. His endorsement and the production of TaylorMade provide young players with a high-quality and performance-oriented experience on the course.
The set includes a well-crafted selection of clubs tailored to the needs and abilities of junior golfers, ensuring a comfortable and efficient swing. However, families should consider the price, potential outgrowth, and customization limitations when deciding on purchasing this set.
- Professional endorsement: Rory’s name on the clubs will inspire your junior golfer.
- Quality craftsmanship: TaylorMade is a respected brand in the golf equipment industry. The clubs are carefully designed and constructed to ensure optimal performance and durability.
- Age-appropriate design: This set is designed for kids aged 4 and above, considering their physical capabilities and swing mechanics. The club lengths, weights, and flexes are all tailored to help junior golfers develop proper techniques.
- Price: Quality junior golf equipment can come at a higher cost, and the TaylorMade Rory Kids Set is on the higher end of pricing.
Find the Right Golf Clubs for Your Junior Golfer
I recommend deciding on clubs with your junior golfer so they can be a part of the excitement. Each set I recommended above has great fitting tools on their sites or height recommendations in the product specs here on Curated for you to use to fit your junior. If you still need help or have questions, feel free to reach out to a Curated Golf Expert for free, personalized advice! Bombs away future PGA and LPGA stars!