Expert Review: Callaway X Forged CB
This review is my own honest opinion of the iron, which I bought with my own money in June 2021.
About this review This review is my own honest opinion of the iron, which I bought with my own money in June 2021.
The Callaway 2021 X Forged CB is geared toward the lower handicap player who is looking for forged feel and forgiveness.
About the club I own
- Model: 2021 Callaway X Forged CB
- Loft setting: Standard loft with a two-degree flat lie angle
- Shaft type: Mitsubishi MMT Tour 105X (Graphite)
- Shaft flex: Tour X Flex
- Average score: 76
- Handicap: 5.9
- Experience: 26 years
- Right/Left-handed: Right-handed
- Typical shot shape: Small fade with irons; Draw with driver.
- Typical trajectory: Medium
- Club swing speed: 108 miles per hour with driver
- When I bought the club: June 2021
- Days tested: Four days
- Where I’ve used it: World Woods Golf Course (Rolling Oaks) in Brooksville, Florida, and Orange County National (Panther Lake) in Winter Garden, Florida.
- Weather and wind conditions: Windy, rainy, sunny, and humid conditions.
How it performs
What I was looking for
I have been a pure forged-blade player for over 20 years and I have always enjoyed the look and feel of a traditional forged blade. I wanted to experiment with a cavity-back iron that has a traditional look and could also provide a forged feel.
Why I chose this club
I have not been able to practice as much as I have in previous years. I wanted more forgiveness without sacrificing the look and feel of a forged club. The X Forged CBs provided everything I was looking for. When choosing these clubs, I looked at the full line of 2021 Callaway Iron products, including Apex, Apex DCB, and Apex Pro. The X Forged gave me the best combination of forgiveness, distance, and feel.
What I love about it
- Distance: I gained about an average of five yards with each club compared to my previous set, the Mizuno MP20s. This was due to the lighter shafts and slightly larger club heads.
- Forgiveness: Coming from a traditional blade, which is typically more compact and less forgiving, I was pleased to see that my mishits still flew a respectable distance. This saved me several shots over my four days of testing.
- Feel: The feel is very similar to a forged blade. Pure strikes felt great out of the fairway and off the tee.
- Sound: The X Forged CB has a muted sound, which I prefer. It is not very “clicky” and sounded extremely appealing to me.
- Workability: I have always enjoyed playing a variety of different shots on the course. The ability to hit three-quarter shots with ease has allowed my confidence to grow.
- Grip Feel: Golf Pride Align grips are the stock grip option for this set and they give instant feedback. I have used these in the past and enjoy them.
- Launch Angle: I prefer a mid ball flight, which the Callaway X Forged CB was able to produce for me.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Shaft Feel: The Mitsubishi MMT Tour 105X shaft felt very smooth, as these are 25 grams less than my previous iron set, which used the KBS $-Taper. However, I did notice a little “whippy” feel when I tried to swing harder from a buried lie in the rough.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Since I was coming from a forged blade, the offset was substantially more apparent in these. The increased offset in the irons took some time to get used to. Although I do not like the look of a bulky club head, the iron framed the ball well, and the X Forged CBs have a thinner topline so they were very appealing to me.
Best shot with this club
On the eighth hole at World Woods (Rolling Oaks), which is a downhill par 3 that’s surrounded by water, I stuffed it to four feet. I had a great yardage for 6-iron and I stuck the shot pure. That was my first birdie of the round and it definitely boosted my confidence.
Value for the money vs. other options
They are a little on the high side costwise when compared to similar sets. Other forged irons have a lower price point, such as the Callaway Apex Pro or Callaway Apex. However, I feel they are worth every cent and I’m confident in my purchase.
The Callaway X Forged CBs gave me added confidence. Now, when I look down at the club head, I know the club is going to perform best for me. I am extremely happy with my purchase of the Callaway X Forged CB irons, and I hope to enter a few local tournaments this summer.