Expert Review: TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway WoodPublished on 03/14/2023 · 3 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the wood, which I bought with my own money in July 2020.
All photos courtesy of Bryan Friedman
About this review: This review is my honest opinion of the wood, which I bought with my own money in July 2020.
The TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood is suitable for any skill level, as pros and amateurs alike can use it. What I like best about this wood is its balance upon address. I feel like I can control the trajectory in either direction and always get a positive response off the face.
About the club I own
- Model: TaylorMade SIM Fairway 3 Wood
- Loft setting: 15 degree
- Shaft type: HAZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
- Shaft flex: Stiff
- Average score: 85
- Handicap: 12
- Experience: 20 years
- Right/Left-Handed: Right
- Typical ball flight: Mid
- Golf ball used: TaylorMade Tour Response
- Club swing speed: 95
- When I bought the club: July 2020
- Days tested: 75 (over two seasons)
- Where I’ve used it: Five Ponds of Warminster, PA Golf Club (range and course)
- Weather and wind conditions: Sunny, little wind
How it performs
What I was looking for
I sought a wood to match my SIM Driver, which I love. I wanted the new technology with TM Twist Face in my 3-wood for workability and distance.
Why I chose this club
I chose to buy the TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood because I had a great demo session and loved the performance on the course, particularly when compared with the Titleist TS4 and the Callaway Epic. I got fitted for the SIM driver and wanted to test out the 3W on the course. The dispersion numbers were strong with the SIM, and the Twist Face helped correct some mis-hits.
What I love about it
- Distance: Distance is no issue with this club. The ball explodes off the face.
- Forgiveness: The forgiveness is apparent with the club. Some hits of the toe and face do not spray as much as others I have tested. I love the control I get, especially in tight situations.
- Feel: I really like the feel of this club; it gives a very pure response and result when struck solid.
- Sound: The sound might be what I love most about the SIM line. It is a very solid sound, not metallic or clang-y.
- Workability: I can easily work the ball with this wood, either right or left..
- Shaft Feel & Performance: The Smoke Black shaft pairs really nicely with the Taylormade SIM FW. It has a mid-kick-point and balances weight, which helps launch the ball off the tee.
- Aesthetic Appeal: I feel very confident looking down to the crown upon address.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Adjustability: This club is not adjustable in any way, which would be my only complaint.
- Launch Angle: I would like to generate a little more spin from the TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood, as it is difficult to launch high, at times.
Best shot with this club
My best shot was at a Northern NJ club. The hole was too short and the fairway too tight for a driver. I pulled the TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood out and hit a beautiful, high, long draw that settled in the fairway. The help I got from this club set me up for a birdie!
Value for the money vs. other options
I definitely recommend the TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood now that it can be found at a lower price (typically used), which gives it a lot of value. I would definitely recommend a 10-20 handicapper who wants the confidence of the larger 3W head and the ability to control the shot shape.
Overall, the TaylorMade SIM Max Fairway Wood totally gives me options when I can’t hit driver off the tee. It allows me to swing confidently and fit the ball into tighter fairways.