Expert Review: Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Wide S PutterPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the putter which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
Photo by David Miller
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the putter which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
The Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Wide S is a putter that is the best of both worlds. While wider than a standard blade, it’s a blade-like putter that still looks slim and feels like a blade – it’s definitely not your dad’s butter knife! This is a beginner's step into the world of blade putters as it is much heavier and more forgiving than most blades.
About the club I own
- Model: 2021 Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Wide S
- Shape: Blade (double wide)
- Hosel Neck: Slant neck
- Balance Point: 35º toe hang
- Shaft Length: 34”
- Grip Type: Grey Odyssey Pistol Grip
- Finish: Silver PVD finish
- Average Score: 78
- Handicap: 3.8
- Experience: 12
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-handed
- Stroke Type: Slight arc
- Golf Ball Used: Titleist ProV1X
- Height: 6’
- When I bought the putter: December 2021
- Days tested: 60
- Where I’ve used it: Used in 3 college golf tournaments, private courses in my area such as Chester Valley and Philadelphia Cricket Club, practice greens, and putting in my basement
- Weather and Wind Conditions: Indoor, and outdoor conditions; rain, sleet, hail, wind and nice conditions.
- Green Speed: I’ve used this putter on some of the faster greens in my area (Philadelphia Cricket Club) while also playing on many public courses with slower greens. The tournaments I played in March also had slow greens due to the maintenance of the courses not being up to par as it had not gotten warm yet.
- Grass Type: Bent grass
How it performs
What I was looking for
My friends make fun of me for the amount of putters I buy and I currently own 5 – all of which are blade putters. I decided on this putter as it would be more forgiving than a blade putter, but still comes in that classic blade style that I love to see at address.
Why I chose this club
I chose this putter specifically because of the price point and the insert. White Hot is an insert that Callaway used to have in its putter line. However, they moved on to other lines such as the O-works series as they also took a turn with Stroke Lab. However, this face insert is so classic that they brought it back in 2021 and 2022 with the White Hot OG lines! It truly feels great off the face and wasn’t in a price range that felt absurd.
What I love about it
- Face Feel: As mentioned above, the White Hot insert is the big selling point for this putter. It is supposed to mimic two golf balls hitting each other and feels hot, while still very smooth off the face. I personally love this insert, but some people don’t love how strong it is. This isn’t for those looking for a really soft or milled putter.
- Weight: The weighting feels great in the hands. It is certainly a little on the heavier side for a blade as it is a “double-wide” but doesn’t feel too hefty. The weight is light enough to feel guidable on short putts, while heavy enough to get the ball there on longer putts.
- Alignment: The alignment is very simple but is incredibly helpful. The single line helps me line it up with the ball and stays simple enough for most golfers.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Similar to what I mentioned about alignment, the putter is aesthetic in a simple way. It stands out against the green and the ball while looking clean with the silver including the white insert.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Forgiveness: This putter does not have as much forgiveness as an average mallet. However, that is the beauty of this putter. If one struggles with longer lag putts, this may not be the best putter as they may want to look for a mallet putter that has a higher MOI.
Best putt or round with this putter
My 5th and 6th rounds with this putter were in a college golf tournament. The weather was awful and the greens were slick but this putter was on fire. I hit some incredible lag putts on both days of the tournament, and my short game and putting helped me get my first tournament win after shooting 73 on Saturday, and 76 on Sunday.
Value for the money vs. other options
One of the main reasons I chose this putter was because of its value. Odyssey is a very well-known brand and has an incredible amount of wins on tour. An alternative putter would be the Ping Kushin 4 putter. This putter is black instead of silver and has a different hosel which promotes a different feel. However, the Odyssey putter is cheaper and to me, feels better than most other putters on the market.
The Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Wide S Putter is a great option for golfers who are looking for a blade-like putter that has a little more forgiveness than the average blade putter.