Expert Review: Cobra LTDx DriverPublished on 04/24/2023 · 5 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the driver which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Jeremy D.
About this review: This review is my honest opinion of the driver which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
I think the Cobra LTDx Driver will suit the seasoned low handicap player all the way up to mid-high handicap player looking for some forgiveness and launch. This is one of the easiest heads to square up at impact and just wants to go straight. I find it to be very easy to launch while keeping spin lower for plenty of distance.
About the club I own
- Model: 2022 Cobra LTDx Peacoat/Red
- Loft setting: 10.5º
- Shaft type: HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black
- Shaft flex: (6.0) Stiff
- Average score: 78
- Handicap: 5
- Experience: 28 years
- Right/Left-Handed: Right-Handed
- Typical ball flight: Mid
- Golf ball used: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
- Club swing speed: 108mph
- When I bought the club: May 2022
- Days tested: 21
- Where I’ve used it: Trackman Range at Carl’s Golfland, Twin Lakes Golf Course, Cherry Creek Golf Course, Sanctuary Lake Golf Course
- Weather and wind conditions: I’ve played in pure sun, cold, wind, and also rain.
How it performs
What I was looking for
As a pretty good driver of the golf ball and one who tends to hit the ball lower off the tee, I was looking for something that could help with launch and still have a lower spin for that extra distance we all crave. The driver checks all those boxes for me.
Why I chose this club
The price on this driver is excellent in comparison to some other big names without sacrificing performance. It looks fantastic in both the gloss blue and matte black finish. The shape suits my eye and the sound/feel are spot on. It sounds powerful without feeling harsh or firm and that puts it at the top of the category for me.
What I love about it
- Distance: There is plenty of distance packed into this head. I’ve seen longer carry distances than I have seen in quite some time thanks to the launch characteristics of this head.
- Forgiveness: I find this driver to be extremely forgiving all over the face, and believe me when I say I have tested the entire face. Like many other drivers on the market today, the high toe is the place to miss.
- Feel: In my experience, sound and feel go together. Cobra has found a sweet spot here. It’s neither soft and mushy, nor too firm and hard. I like the feel and it sounds powerful.
- Shaft Performance: Regardless of the shaft feel (which is a bit firm but I knew that going in), the performance is there. It is very stable under harder swings and never feels like I’m going to lose it in either direction.
- Aesthetic Appeal: 10 out of 10 in the looks department and unlike other manufacturers, Cobra offers multiple finishes and colors. Both look fantastic in my opinion, even though I prefer the glossy look of the blue head.
- Launch Angle: I highly recommend this club to anyone needing help in this department as I find it very easy to launch.
- Spin: Some drivers that have higher launch characteristics achieve that by being higher spin which for some players is a good thing. In my case, spin is not a good thing, but Cobra has done something special here. Even though this is a higher launching head, I find it to still be a lower spin which is just perfection.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Workability: This is the area I don’t find the LTDx to be super effective at. That’s not to say it's impossible, because it's not, but it requires a little more effort than some other models like the LS. The reason being the head is very easy to square up.
- Adjustability: This isn’t the most adjustable head, there is only one fixed weight on the back. It is changeable if additional weights are purchased through Cobra. Users can also rotate the shaft to adjust loft and lie which is very easy to do, but with the adapter, the entire shaft rotates which may be a turnoff to some, including myself.
- Shaft Feel: The shaft feel is very firm and stiff. I almost feel like I have to swing harder at it than I want to at times.
- Grip Feel: This is not my favorite stock grip, but it is good enough.
Best shot with this club
You know that feeling when you just know you smashed it? Yeah, me too! I have had that feeling many times since putting this driver in play. Imagine a 400yd par 4 dogleg left. Now, picture a high-flying ball that just keeps going right down the middle leaving me 110 in! That was me the other day. WOW!
Value for the money vs. other options
Cobra has been making great drivers for years while keeping the price lower than other companies like TaylorMade and Callaway, all without sacrificing performance. For those who are looking at the Stealth or Rogue ST, don’t overlook the LTDx. Give it a chance, the results might be surprising!
Cobra has a real winner here. The LTDx does everything it claims to do: low spin, easy launch, and plenty of forgiveness packed into a beautiful package at a fantastic price.
This club is featured in the Best Cobra Drivers. Check it out for more recommendations and reviews.