Expert Review: Burton Women's GORE-TEX Avalon Bib Pants
This review is my honest opinion of the pants which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the pants which I purchased with my own money in November of 2021.
The Burton Avalon GORE-TEX Bib is the perfect companion for staying dry in a variety of winter conditions. For those looking for next-level protection against the elements, these are one of the best options out there. Durable waterproof material and lightweight breathable construction.
About the pants
- Brand: Burton
- Model: Women's GORE-TEX® Avalon Bib Pants
- Size Fit: True to size and slightly larger than the average
- Height: 5’5”
- Weight: 148 lbs
- Pant size: 28
- Experience: 18 years
- When I bought these: November 2021
- Days used: 15
- Where I’ve used them: I have worn these in all sorts of conditions, from sunny bluebird days to 15-degree weather in NW Idaho. Living in the PNW, I have encountered a lot of heavy snow and super wet riding days. The GORE-TEX on these pants keeps you bone dry.
How they perform
What I was looking for
Multiple seasons of riding tore up my last pair of snow pants. I knew I wanted a bib to avoid snow getting in my pants, and offer more extensive waterproofing protection. My main goal while riding is to stay comfortable, so I bought a few different bibs before settling on this pair to hone in on the best pair.
Why I chose this gear
I purchased the Burton Avalon GORE-TEX Bib because I had heard it was super comfortable and waterproof. When I was looking for a new pair, I wanted to make sure my next bib would keep me protected. I also wanted a casual-fitting bib vs. something super snug. Mobility is crucial on the slopes, and thankfully there are no issues with movement in these bibs. I did consider other options like the Obermeyer Felicity Bib and Volcom GORE-TEX Bib. The Felicity was too snug, and Volcom didn’t fit me exactly right. I found the Burton pair fit me the best and felt the most comfortable.
What I love about them
- Fit: I was on the hunt for a relaxed-fit bib. I’m all about mobility on the slopes, and this bib fits the bill – super casual and stylish.
- Comfort: I have absolutely no issues with the comfort, and realistically, I could sleep in this bib; it’s just that comfortable.
- Waterproofing: Regarding waterproofing, I can’t go wrong with the Burton Avalon GORE-TEX bib if I want to stay dry all day long. Even in super windy wet conditions, I had no issues.
- Breathability: The levels of breathability are top-notch; I never have to worry about sweat or moisture build-up. The breathability rating is at 20k, so it’s definitely a higher level to handle anything the day throws at me. These feel very lightweight and soft against the skin. Luckily, it’s non-insulated so I never sweat up a storm, very breathable material.
- Durability: The material is lightweight but incredibly durable. Backed by Burton’s limited lifetime warranty, but so far, no issues with durability. Fully taped seams make this a durable, long-lasting product.
- Weight: The material moves with me and is lightweight – not heavy whatsoever.
- Ease of movement: One of my favorite parts about these bibs is the ease of movement. No issues with overall movement, lateral movements never make the material feel like it will tear. A major plus is this bib makes me feel completely agile and capable.
- Quality: The quality of Burton’s GORE-TEX line is a top-notch, soft, durable material and zippers don’t feel flimsy.
- Special Features: I love how many zipper pockets this bib has. The zipper pocket on the chest is my personal favorite for my license and pass card; easy to access. Another major plus is the ventilation zippers on the thighs if I do get hot.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Warmth: The level of warmth for me is perfect because I run hot while I’m riding, so I prefer the breathability that this bib offers. But, the bib is non-insulated, so it's not the warmest. I have always worn a base layer with Smartwool or Hot Chilis. With a base layer, this is perfect for me.
Favorite moment with this gear
I’ve always found that bibs are the absolute best type of snow pants for an epic day on the slopes. The only downside I’ve encountered is bathroom trips because of difficulty getting in and out of the straps. I didn’t discover until after a few days of riding that these particular bibs have zippers on the hips. The two zippers that run along the hips remove the difficulty of using the restroom. It’s fantastic to be able to unzip both sides and even leave my jacket on without having to worry about the straps. That particular feature has made me love this bib even more!
Value for the money vs. other options
The Burton GORE-TEX Avalon compared to a bib such as the Obermeyer Felicity bib (that I initially tried) is as different as night and day. I didn’t test the Felicity bib in actual riding conditions, but I did wear them quite a bit around the house. My initial concern was the level of comfort and snugness. Mobility is a major focus for me when I’m riding, and I was concerned that I would rip the pants because of how snug they fit. With the Burton Avalon bib, I felt completely relaxed and agile for quick movements. The price of the Burton bib was about $50 more, but the features and comfort made it worth the price! Another major plus was the level of waterproofing. I spend most of my season riding in the PNW, where conditions can be extremely wet, so GORE-TEX was definitely the right choice for me!
The Burton Avalon GORE-TEX bib is the perfect choice for a rider that prioritizes all-day comfort and performance. This bib unlocks full protection against the elements featuring high-quality materials and GORE-TEX waterproofing.