Expert Review: Dakine Men's Barrier GORE-TEX® 2L Pants
This review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the pants, which I purchased with my own money in March of 2022.
My first take on the Dakine Mens Barrier GORE-TEX 2L Pants was that I was amazed at how lightweight they were! I loved how maneuverable I felt while snowboarding, I didn’t feel weighed down the whole day. I think they are great for any skill level rider!
About the pants
- Brand: Dakine
- Model: Dakine Mens Barrier GORE-TEX 2L Pants
- Size Fit: I tested out a small size; They fit snug and comfortable! Runs true to size, maybe a little small.
- Height: 5’7”
- Weight: 127 lbs
- Pant size: 1
- Experience: 21 years of snowboarding
- When I bought these: March 2022
- Days used: 1
- Where I’ve used them: Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Weather conditions used in: Beautiful sunny early spring day
How they perform
What I was looking for
I was looking for lightweight GORE-TEX pants as a great option for Colorado powder riding. My current gear is a little bulky and heavy, but is still GORE-TEX.
Why I chose this gear
I chose this specific product to test out because the color and size was a great fit for me and I have never tested out Dakine outerwear.
What I love about it
- Fit: I was looking for something that fit my body a little more snugly, and these pants fit perfectly! I think if you are shorter than 5’7” these pants could be a little long on you and you may need to have them altered.
- Comfort: These pants are very comfortable and lightweight. This would be more like a shell pant. Dakine uses Recycled Polyester Plain Weave 2L with GORE-TEX Laminate. These pants were perfect for a spring day.
- Warmth: I was very warm with the materials used. The GORE-TEX, along with PFC Free DWR by Dakine, kept me dry and warm all day. They are a bit thin for insulation; if using in the middle of winter, I would make sure you have warm layers to provide extra warmth. You will be dry, but may be cold.
- Waterproofing: The pants are very waterproof. Even when ripped, I was still dry and warm.
- Breathability: I did get a little warm while riding, but the inner leg zip side vents really helped release the excess heat and cool me down.
- Weight: Very lightweight!
- Ease of movement: I found the pants to be very maneuverable. I loved how free I felt while riding, no restrictions, I felt like I could dance in them!
- Quality: I loved the color and look, I think they could have been more durable material.
- Special Features: I loved all of the pockets. They were big and deep, perfect for fitting my large phone.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Durability: The only thing I was not happy with was the durability. I was riding through the woods when a tree snagged me and I ended up ripping a large hole in the back side. First time ripping my snow gear. I have mentioned this rip to my father and he does think we can try to have it repaired. I considered alternate options after the Dakines ripped; I was bummed that they aren’t as durable as I was wanting. I have Burton GORE-TEX pants that are very durable, I’ve had them for 6-7 years now and no rips or tears even through the trees!
Favorite moment with this gear
I loved my first few runs I had with these pants, I loved the color and how they felt while riding. I was able to throw down some butters and hit a few natural side hits on the slopes too while wearing these, so much more maneuverable and lightweight.
Value for the money vs. other options
Honestly, I didn’t know the price of these items before I tested them out. I didn’t think they were as pricey as they are listed, and I think the GORE-TEX is worth the money, but the material isn’t the most durable. I think there are other options out there that could hold up longer.
Overall, I loved the Dakine Barrier GORE-TEX 2L pants. I loved how they felt while wearing them, I just wish the materials used were more durable for tree riding.