Expert Review: TaylorMade Stealth Single IronPublished on 03/14/2023 · 4 min readThis review is my honest opinion of the irons which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
All photos courtesy of Alex Rothery
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the irons which I purchased with my own money in May of 2022.
The TaylorMade Stealth Single Irons are tailored to mid-high handicappers looking to keep the ball speed up while maintaining excellent consistency. Designed for golfers looking for higher ball height as well. I had been looking for an iron that performs as a game improvement club but gives off the look and design of a tour pro club. This carbon-designed iron looks sharp, produces faster ball speeds, and provides unmatched forgiveness
About the club I own
- Model: TaylorMade Stealth 4-PW 2022 model.
- Loft setting: Standard lofts
- Shaft type: Iron KBS shafts
- Shaft flex: Stiff
- Average score: 80-82
- Handicap: 12
- Experience: 10+ years
- Right/Left-Handed: Right
- Typical ball flight: Soft Fade
- Golf ball used: Usually TaylorMade Distance+ or Tour Response
- Club swing speed: 90-94mph
- When I bought the club: May 2022
- Days tested: 4-5 times a week
- Where I’ve used it: Many of my local courses - Adkins Golf Club, Woodlawn Country Club, Hulman Links, multiple practice greens, and a couple simulator rounds.
- Weather and wind conditions: All conditions, both wet and cold or hot and dry
How it performs
What I was looking for
I was hunting for a club that would assist me with my ball flight and provides excellent consistency. Something with a forged feel was what I was after, but not necessarily a tour pro club.
Why I chose this club
I love the carbon design and the forged feel it provides. I did consider other options but I feel this design by TaylorMade, taking forged components and forming them into a forgiving cavity back iron as well as carbon designs in general, are going to be big here in the upcoming years.
What I love about it
- Distance: The irons are above average with yardages, even balls not struck well continued to travel decently. But I do feel like the distance could be better.
- Forgiveness: Forgiveness is excellent!!! On the occasional mishits the ball will continue to stay relatively straight. Any golfer looking to prioritize forgiveness over all else has to consider these irons.
- Sound: I do like the sound, just like typical irons.
- Adjustability: No adjustability to these clubs.
- Shaft Feel: Shafts are KBS Tour Stiff and have great feel to them
- Aesthetic Appeal: They look incredible at address, slight offset but still giving off that tour pro vibe.
- Grip Feel: I built these with Golf Pride MCC+ grips, which provided an excellent feel.
- Launch Angle: My ball flight has been relatively high with these, very pleased with it.
- Spin: Green approaches have checked up well when needed.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Feel: The feel could be better in my opinion; the mishits and flush shots can sometimes blend in together with the feedback I received. Flush shots do tend to blend in with the feel of something slightly heeled or toed.
- Workability: Not very workable, you will struggle to do any shot shaping with these clubs. They will do well for a baby draw or a slight fade but will struggle to need more than that. Not going to be as playable as a blade but I still can do some shot shaping with these.
- Adjustability: Irons do not offer any adjustability.
Best shot with this club
I have yet to sink a truly incredible shot with these yet. However, they continue to get the job done and provide me with excellent forgiveness and consistency. I have had multiple shots from 120, 150, and 180 yards all come in and sit 6-8 feet from the cup.
Value for the money
Depending on what your priorities are, these are great value for the money. For golfers looking to maximize their distances and playability, I would recommend they look elsewhere. However, players looking to be more consistent and have better control and forgiveness would greatly benefit from this set.
This is a great set of clubs from TaylorMade aimed squarely at mid-higher handicap golfers. Their pro look will give players the confidence needed when stepping up to the tee box.