Expert Review: Smith Skyline XL Goggles · 2021
This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
About this Review: This review is my honest opinion of the goggles, which I purchased with my own money in December of 2021.
The Smith Skyline XL goggles are my go-to because they offer a comfortable fit with supreme visibility in varying conditions.
About this gear
- Model: 2021 Smith Skyline XL
- Size: Large, Over Glasses
- Does it feature lens replacement?: No
- Fit: True to size, adjustable
- Height: 5’11”
- Weight: 175 lbs
- Experience: 23 years
- When I bought this: December 2021
- Days tested: 25+
- Lenses I own: None
- Weather conditions used in: Sunny days, Whiteout, Cloudy
- Where I’ve used it: Big Sky, Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton/Park City, Salt Lake City, Mt. Bachelor-OR, Whiteface, Lake Placid, and Snow Trails-Mansfield, OH
- Terrain: Powder, Groomers, Backcountry
How they perform
What I was looking for
I needed a pair of low-light goggles with everyday mirrored lenses to pair with my Oakley’s. In addition, I wanted a larger frame to fit my face and provide a large field of vision.
Why I chose this gear
I was mostly focused on lens technology but also wanted a larger pair of goggles that fit my helmet face better. I considered the Oakley Flight Deck goggles, but they didn’t offer the correct lens I wanted. They also had a smaller frame and were more expensive than the Skylines.
What I love about it
- Fit: The goggle fit is as expected. Easy to adjust and fits well over the helmet with the responsive fit frame design to adjust to the contours of my face.
- Comfort: Goggles fit custom to my face and fit well with Smith helmets, syncing up well with the helmet to keep all wind/fog out.
- Ventilation: The ventilation is great. The Fog-X Anti-Fog Inner lens absorbs moisture and disperses it to the surface to prevent fogging.
- Visibility: These XL goggles provide a wide field of vision. The Rose Flash ChromaPop lenses provide excellent visibility on low light days, offering some on bluebird days. In addition, the ChromaPop technology provides detail and color above and beyond normal vision.
- Face frame: The frame contours to my face for a custom fit. The extra-large frame could be an issue for people with small faces.
- Strap: The Quick Fit strap adjustment system and clip buckles are easy to adjust for a custom/snug fit.
- Helmet compatibility: Easy to fit over any helmet based on the strap technology.
- Features: The ChromaPop Lens technology provides vivid vision with extra detail and color. The Fog-X Inner lens prevents the build of unwanted fog.
Issues I’ve encountered
- Lens replacement: This does not come with an additional lens and is not easy to replace/interchangeable.
- Experience with glasses underneath: I don’t personally wear glasses, so I can’t speak from experience. The OEM states these are over glasses but based on research, there are some negative reviews for those utilizing these.
- Durability: I got my first scratch this year from resting the goggles on a table for lunch. They have held up well besides that, but it was concerning they were so easily scratched from sitting them on a table.
Favorite moment with this gear
I’ve had a lot of great memories with these goggles, which I occasionally share with my girlfriend. However, my favorite moment may have been during a powder dumping at Alta. It went from a bluebird day to a squall in a matter of minutes. Luckily, I had brought my goggles out that day and quickly changed to these low-light ones. The conditions were amazing, and I was able to take full advantage.
Value for the money vs. other options
Goggles are a very competitive market with lots of options out there. However, I primarily stick to my trusted brands of Smith and Oakley. I strongly considered the Oakley Flight Decks but preferred the larger framed Smith Skylines since they were also discounted.
The Smith Skyline XLs are a great goggle offering a wide array of lens combinations for varying conditions. The frame is super comfortable and adjusts to my face. In addition, the anti-fog and ChromaPop keep visibility high for my adventures.