Get fast, free advice from an expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
The Curated Take
This is a well-built entry-level reel that will allow anglers to enjoy fishing and not have to worry about gear holding them back. Built from cast aluminum, this reel is durable. The drag is strong enough to handle most freshwater situations. The large arbor aids with quick line retrieval.
- This reel is a quality entry level fly reel.
- The drag is strong and has a smooth start up inertia.
- A large arbor assists with quick fly line retrieval.
- This is a cast aluminum reel that may not have the integrity of a machined reel.
The Orvis Clearwater Reel is a large arbor die–cast reel that has great performance for its price point. This reel is ideal for an entry–level angler, an angler that is on a tight budget but expects decent performance or perhaps an angler that likes to have a spare reel laying around. The reel is lightweight but still has a powerful drag system to put up a good fight when hooked up. Key Features: Large Arbor – The large arbor design of the reel makes for quick line retrieval rates, plenty of capacity for backing line and reducing line memory. Easy Conversion – This real can effortlessly convert from left or right hand retrieve to suit the anglers preference or to be easily changeable for guides and their clients. Use Cases: - II (4–6wt) is ideal for the angler with one versatile setup as it will not be too overpowering for smaller fish but can handle a fight against average sized fish.
- IV (7–9wt) is ideal for anglers that are targeting larger fish and could potentially get into their backing with an aggressive run.