The Curated Take
The Smith Maze Helmet is a great all-around helmet for skiing and snowboarding! I have depended on a version of this helmet each season for at least the last three years while lapping resorts, on backcountry missions, and on multi-day hut trips. Personally, I know the Smith helmets fit my head comfortably, and this has been my only helmet for snowboarding and serves me well in winter storms and spring sunshine alike. I fell hard on a powder day in 2020 and cracked my Smith MIPS Maze helmet on a stump under the snow -- I credit the helmet and the MIPS system with saving my brain and neck that day. I replaced that helmet directly and haven't stopped singing the Maze's praises since then! I originally liked the Maze because I thought it was stylish, but learning firsthand how protective it can be made me a dedicated fan. It's a great helmet for resort skiing and riding because it is very warm, especially with the included ear pads. I've found it well equipped for various conditions and temperatures although there aren't many vents and you can't close the ones it has. Wearing a thin head covering and/or hood with the helmet makes the coldest days bearable, and the ear pads are easily removed for comfort or airflow for warmer weather and longer tours. The Smith Maze Helmet gives me peace of mind because it's extremely protective, versatile, and lightweight enough not to be a burden on overnight trips.
- Extremely protective with Smith's MIPS System
- Very warm
- Ear pads can be removed for better ventilation when touring or on warmer days
- Not very many vents and no adjustable ones
- Relatively bulky profile
The Smith Maze is an ultralight, minimalist helmet for someone seeking a featherweight design and safe performance.
- Self-Adjusting Fit – The elastic adjustment system is lightweight and requires zero effort to work.
- Ventilation – Strategically placed ventilation controls airflow and keeps warm air away from goggles.
- Light Construction – The low-profile design offers strong impact protection in a lightweight package.