Orvis Battenkill Fly Reel · III · Black Nickel
- We price match
Get fast, free advice from an expert
Ask a fly fishing expert a question about this product
- What should I compare this to?
- What's a cheaper option?
- Can you show me more like this?
- What's a more premium option?
- Is this right for me?
- Ask your own question
The Orvis Battenkill Reel is the old, proven, traditional standard reel from Orvis. This reel is for the purist who enjoys the sound of a click pawl reel. Perfect for balancing with a small stream fly rod. This is a classic reel that still has its place for traditional anglers. Key Features:
- Click Pawl Drag – The simplicity of the drag system means very few pieces to break. There is also nothing more pleasant than the sound of a running fish fighting a click pawl drag system.
- Easy Adjustable Right/Left Hand Retrieve – This reel is very easy to change the retrieve based on angler preference.
- Heavy Bar Stock Aluminum – Heavy Bar Aluminum creates added durability without the extra weight.
Is this right for you? Chat with an expert to learn more about this product, compare it with similar options and get personalized recommendations
I cannot recommend this reel enough. It is perfect for anything from small streams to medium sized rivers. Its simple mechanics allow you to focus less on things like drag, and more on line management and control. Hiking long distances to water and negotiating woody areas, you'll come to appreciate the ultra-light, minimal nature of this. For small streams and rocky rivers, you'll want a reel that can withstand the conditions. If you find yourself climbing, skirting, bouldering, and crawling to get to some of those waters, you need something that can withstand more than a few bumps and scrapes. With its solid aluminum build, it still looks and performs like new after years of abuse. Unlike heavier duty drag reels out there, the click-pawl mechanics put you in control and make a killer classic sound when you have a fighter on your line. It's a wonderful way to fish. This is a generational piece of gear you can expect to pass on some day.
Very simple design, quality construction. It has a narrow spool which prevents line stacking, and its easily adjustable for left or right hand retrieve.