The Curated Take
The Redington Behemoth is a great reel for fly anglers look for a reel that wont break the bank, but still need a reel with superb drag power. The carbon fiber drag system is as good as it gets in this price range of fly reels. The drag knob is also over sized and very easy to turn in situations where drag power needs to be adjusted quickly. The reel handle is padded and very nice to grab ahold of. The large arbor spool allows for very quick fly line pick up but its also v-shaped. Meaning you need more backing to fill the reel up and it also allows for some minimal line stacking. The reel is also die-cast aluminum construction and is susceptible to scratching and dings. This reel is also just a tad heavier in hand than other reels the same size and in this class. Overall the Redington Behemoth is a great reel that I would recommend to any fly angler that doesn’t want to break the bank but still needs a reel with great stopping power.
- Top of class drag system
- Top of the line reel handle
- Quick fly line pickup
- A little heavier than most reels in the class
- V-Shaped spool can cause line stacking
- Die-Cast build isn’t the most durable construction
The Redington Behemoth Fly Reel is a large arbor disc drag fly reel that fly anglers of all skill levels would use. Made from die cast aluminum, this is a lightweight and strong reel. Available in five sizes, this reel will cover fly rod weights 3-13.
- Large Arbor Spool – This spool size aids in rapid fly line pick up on retrieval and decreases fly line memory and coiling.
- Carbon Disc Drag – The carbon disc drag provides stopping power that will handle large fish.
- Lifetime Warranty – The manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty for this reel.