Get fast, free advice from an Expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
The Curated Take
I originally borrowed this jacket on my first summit trip up Mt. Rainier. After the trip, I immediately went home and bought it, and it has become a staple of my wardrobe. I use it for rock climbing, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, and looking dang good when I walk to class in freezing Rexburg weather.
What really stood out to me originally was how light and low profile it was, without sacrificing features. I hate big, obnoxious coats and jackets. This jacket is form-fitting, without being tight. It has 3 zippers that are necessary for pocket snacks while skiing or mountaineering. The hood is helmet-compatible, which is necessary to keep those ears warm while mountaineering or backcountry skiing.
What has impressed me more than anything, though, is the durability. I think it’s pretty obvious to all of us that a mountaineering down jacket is going to be warm, or else it won’t ever sell. What you wouldn’t expect is its ability to withstand EVERYTHING. I literally crawled through tiny holes in a cave for 6 hours, and I came out with a tiny nick on the jacket. I expected it to be shredded afterward. Next to that, the tree skiing I do and the climbing I love don’t do more than a scratch to the jacket.
If you want a light jacket that will keep you warm on the mountain or around town yet will hold up with any beating you give it, you NEED to try out the Rab Microlight.
- Staying super light and super warm at the same time
- Looking great on the mountain
- Lasting an eternity through rough conditions. I literally crawled through an extremely tight cave for 6 hours and came out with hardly any damage.
- This is not meant to replace a shell. While it's treated to not soak up water, it's not waterproof
The Rab Men's Microlight Alpine Insulated Jacket is the perfect solution for rapid warmth when the temperature drops. This classic lightweight down jacket has been updated with a fresh design aesthetic and 100% recycled fabric and down, making it an eco-friendly choice. The Pertex® Quantum ripstop nylon fabrics are soft and packable, while the zoned lightweight micro and nano baffle stitch-through construction ensures maximum insulation.
- Lightweight: Weighing only 466.5g/16.5oz, this jacket is easy to carry around.
- Warm: With a fill power of 700, this jacket provides excellent insulation in cold conditions.
- Windproof: Made from Pertex® Quantum fabric, this jacket is highly windproof.
- Packable: The highly packable design makes it easy to store in your backpack or luggage.
- Hydrophobic Down: Our hydrophobic treatment enables the down to retain its loft in damp conditions so that your gear dries fast and stays warm.
- Adjustable hood with stiffened peak: offers extra protection against harsh weather conditions
- YKK® zipped hand pockets and large zipped chest pocket: provide ample storage space for your essentials.
- Internally elasticated cuffs and drawcord adjustable hem: ensure a snug fit while keeping out drafts.
- This insulated jacket is made from 100% recycled polyamide outer with 100% recycled polyamide lining, making it an eco-friendly choice for those who care about sustainability.