The Curated Take
I live in the Wasatch and tour in the backcountry around 60-70 days per season, and have quite a few years under my belt. I have paired down my kit to be efficient and minimal, and I am always on the lookout for a shell that is breathable enough for the hike up and beefy enough for high winds on the summit and down ski. The Dawn Patrol hits this balance perfectly with plenty of tech options at a great price.
I have issues with shells that fit well, and I tend to gravitate toward a slimmer fit with shells, which are harder to find these days. The Dawn Patrol is a nice slim fit with enough room for a light-down jacket or synthetic warm layer underneath.
I hope BD doesn't stop making this shell because I will be purchasing it for years to come.
- Backcountry touring and mountaineering
- Hi aerobic capable and very breathable
- Offers lots of features and plenty of ventilation
- This model comes with snow skirts on the wrists which I hate. I cut them out.
The Black Diamond Men's Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell Jacket is engineered specifically for backcountry skiers looking for the ultimate protection from the winter weather. The Dawn Patrol jacket features BD.dry™ technology for waterproofing and breathability capabilities, while the 4-way stretch fabric provides greater mobility when skinning up the mountain. Integrated wrist gaiters and Recco® technology provide even more protection from mother nature.
- BD.dry™ Technology – A layered membrane where the face fabric is treated with a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) to repel rain and snow, while the inner membrane utilizes micropores for preventing water intrusion while still allowing moisture to escape.
- Recco® Technology – A passive radar reflector built into the jacket makes it easier to be found by search and rescue in bounds at the resort.
- Wrist Gaiters – Integrated lightweight stretch gaiters provide more protection from the elements when not wearing gloves or mittens.
- 4-Way Stretch – Stretchable fabric that provides improved mobility, greater heat retention, and moisture wicking abilities.