Douglas SKY G Fly Rod
- We price match
Get fast, free advice from an expert
Ask a fly fishing expert a question about this product
- Is this right for me?
- Can you show me more like this?
- What's a more premium option?
- What should I compare this to?
- What's a cheaper option?
- Ask your own question
I own this fly rod in the 5wt and 6wt and truly feel that these two fly rods are the best in their class, especially for trout applications. I have casted the 8wt in saltwater and prefer other 8wt options out there for saltwater specifically for distance. This fly rod in the 8wt loses power around the 70 - 75' marks. For most inshore applications, I do not cast past 60' - 70' but have the occasional 80"+ distance to a moving target. Other fly rods like the Mangrove Coast and Sage Salt HD are better fitted for saltwater.
This fly rod is for someone that needs a multi-application fly rod for dry flies, nymphing, and small streamers in freshwater. The laser accuracy that this fly rod brings to the table in the 5wt and 6wt is the reason this fly rod is winning all of the shootouts. If I could describe this fly rod in one word, it would be performance.
- Best fly rod for all-around performance in the 22-22 shootout.
- Laser accuracy at 40 - 70ft.
- Truly a great rod for freshwater with multiple saltwater options.
- Very little I can say regarding cons here. In the 8wt, this fly rod loses its power after the 75ft mark.
- Not the best fly rod in high winds.
The Douglas Sky G is an award-winning series of fly rods, with 7 models to fit nicely into any angler’s quiver. Thanks to Douglas’ G-Tech Platelet technology, which uses Graphene in the rod blank, the Sky G has a high rate of recovery, is lightweight, and features finesse and power. This all adds up to precise casting that subtly delivers the fly to the target. This series of rods is for anyone looking for a premium rod experience without the top-tier price tag.
- Proprietary G-Tech Platelets – This strong durable technology increases sensitivity and decreases weight for a smooth action.
- Travel Rod and Sock – Powder Coated aluminum tube and a moisture-wicking rod sock, for travel and storage of the rod.
- AAAA Flor Grade Cork – Top graded cork for a premium look and feel.
- Alignment dots – For quick and easy rigging to get fishing faster.
- Lifetime Warranty – The Douglas Outdoors Fly Rod Warranty Claim is a no-fault full replacement warranty program. The fee is $35 per damaged section.
- SKY G 4864- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; General purpose trout rod, perfect for dry fly fishing.
- SKY G 4904- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; Dry fly fishing for larger waters. This will turn over light line nymph rigs, and small streamers. Also a good option for a single-handed trout spey rod.
- SKY G 5904- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; The all-around freshwater rod for dry fly fishing, nymphing with indicators, and small to medium-sized streamers. This is for the angler that wants a rod to cover most fishing situations.
- SKY G 6904- Single-Handed Bass, Carp, Trout & Panfish; This rod is a good start for larger freshwater species, where the fly is a bit bigger and needs more power to deliver it to the target. This would include larger dry flies, heavier nymph rigs, and most streamers, and deer hair bass poppers.
- SKY G S6904- Single-Handed saltwater safe; This rod is ideal for inshore fishing for seatrout, pompano, puppy drum or schoolie strippers
- SKY G 8904- Single-Handed, Saltwater Safe rod for bass, bonefish, salmon, steelhead, and redfish.
- SKY G 11904- Single-Handed, Saltwater Safe perfect rod for bass, musky, pike, and small tarpon.
The Douglas Sky-G is one of the lightest rods on the market that can handle any technique you may use nymphing, hopper droppers, single dry flies, or streamers the rods fast action yet delicate presentation will make you appreciate the advance graphene material utilized in this blank. This rod is best utilized for intermediate to an advance angler. While Douglas Rods are manufactured overseas, this allows you to save some money and get a rod that will outperform rods that cost several hundred more.
- Superlight weight rod with quality components
- Fast action made for all types of anglers
- Won the Yellowstones Angler 2020 5wt Shootout
- Made in Korea
I own the 9' 5wt Douglas Sky G and it is hands down the best fly rod I have ever owned. This rod is an absolute blast to fish with. It is accurate with a soft tip allowing this fast action rod to present flies to easily spooked fish. The rod is extremely light allowing me to fish the entire day without any arm fatigue. The cons I presented are very minor. I would happily purchase this rod again without hesitation. This is a must-have rod for anyone looking for a top-of-the-line, high-quality rod.
- This fly rod is very light (5wt = 2.7oz)
- This fast action rod make very accurate casts
- Capable of delicate fly presentations
- The quality of the cord handle does not look as good as I would expect for a high end rod
- This rod uses single foot guides to decrease weight but I prefer the look and increased durability of traditional snake guides
Is this right for you? Chat with an expert to learn more about this product, compare it with similar options and get personalized recommendations