Get fast, free advice from an expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
The Curated Take
I own this fly rod in the 5wt and 6wt and truly feel that these two fly rods are the best in their class, especially for trout applications. I have casted the 8wt in saltwater and prefer other 8wt options out there for saltwater specifically for distance. This fly rod in the 8wt loses power around the 70 - 75' marks. For most inshore applications, I do not cast past 60' - 70' but have the occasional 80"+ distance to a moving target. Other fly rods like the Mangrove Coast and Sage Salt HD are better fitted for saltwater.
This fly rod is for someone that needs a multi-application fly rod for dry flies, nymphing, and small streamers in freshwater. The laser accuracy that this fly rod brings to the table in the 5wt and 6wt is the reason this fly rod is winning all of the shootouts. If I could describe this fly rod in one word, it would be performance.
- Best fly rod for all-around performance in the 22-22 shootout.
- Laser accuracy at 40 - 70ft.
- Truly a great rod for freshwater with multiple saltwater options.
- Very little I can say regarding cons here. In the 8wt, this fly rod loses its power after the 75ft mark.
- Not the best fly rod in high winds.
The Douglas Sky G is an award-winning series of fly rods, with 7 models to fit nicely into any angler’s quiver. Thanks to Douglas’ G-Tech Platelet technology, which uses Graphene in the rod blank, the Sky G has a high rate of recovery, is lightweight, and features finesse and power. This all adds up to precise casting that subtly delivers the fly to the target. This series of rods is for anyone looking for a premium rod experience without the top-tier price tag.
- Proprietary G-Tech Platelets – This strong durable technology increases sensitivity and decreases weight for a smooth action.
- Travel Rod and Sock – Powder Coated aluminum tube and a moisture-wicking rod sock, for travel and storage of the rod.
- AAAA Flor Grade Cork – Top graded cork for a premium look and feel.
- Alignment Dots – For quick and easy rigging to get fishing faster.
- Lifetime Warranty – The Douglas Outdoors Fly Rod Warranty Claim is a no-fault full replacement warranty program. The fee is $35 per damaged section.
- SKY G 4864- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; General purpose trout rod, perfect for dry fly fishing.
- SKY G 4904- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; Dry fly fishing for larger waters. This will turn over light line nymph rigs, and small streamers. Also a good option for a single-handed trout spey rod.
- SKY G 5904- Single-Handed Trout & Panfish; The all-around freshwater rod for dry fly fishing, nymphing with indicators, and small to medium-sized streamers. This is for the angler that wants a rod to cover most fishing situations.
- SKY G 6904- Single-Handed Bass, Carp, Trout & Panfish; This rod is a good start for larger freshwater species, where the fly is a bit bigger and needs more power to deliver it to the target. This would include larger dry flies, heavier nymph rigs, and most streamers, and deer hair bass poppers.
- SKY G S6904- Single-Handed saltwater safe; This rod is ideal for inshore fishing for seatrout, pompano, puppy drum or schoolie strippers
- SKY G 8904- Single-Handed, Saltwater Safe rod for bass, bonefish, salmon, steelhead, and redfish.
- SKY G 11904- Single-Handed, Saltwater Safe perfect rod for bass, musky, pike, and small tarpon.