Get fast, free advice from an expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
The Curated Take
This rod is great for any level angler. The amount of feel and ease of casting this rod means it will shorten the learning curve for beginning anglers because of how easy it is to feel the rod load and get their cast dialed in. At the same time, the amount of performance this rod offers is out of this world. This is the rod for big game fish where one needs to make long-distance pin-point casts. The D series offers unmatched power and accuracy.
- Easily makes very long distance casts
- Pin point accuracy on longer casts
- The warranty program makes it easy to have a rod repaired in days.
- To achieve the sensitivity in this rod it is more delicate than other rods and will break fairly easily
- All the guides fold down except the bottom guide, they will break if bent
- This is still a little stiff for the finer presentation of dry flies.
The Orvis Helios 3D is a top of the line rod that excels at being extremely accurate at long distance casts and has the backbone to fight the most aggressive fish and cast into the windiest conditions with ease. Although it is a very powerful rod, it can still present flies on a dime. This impressive rod series is offered in a wide range of sizes from a 4 weight to a 12 weight and would not be suitable for an entry level angler (this rod is for the experienced angler).
- Helios 3 Technology – This is an extremely technically designed rod blank with strength that produces quick recovery rates and increased line speed. It is known for its durability and vibration dampening technology that produces extreme accuracy at great distances.
- Fast Action – The fast action of this rod allows for the angler to load the rod and get efficient and accurate casts where they need to go no matter the casting conditions.
- Full Well Grip – The 4-6 weight rods come in full wells and the 7-12 weight rods come in full wells with a fighting butt to allow strength when the battle is on.
- Artis Collab – The 9’ 8 weight comes in an option to have a custom artis collab.
- 9’ 4wt / 9’ 5wt / 9’ 6wt are suitable for casting at around 50+ feet, while covering medium to large waters and typically targeting trout, smallmouth bass and average size fish.
- 9’ 7wt / 9’ 8 wt are suitable for casting at around 75+ feet especially in wind and targeting larger trout, steelhead, salmon, largemouth bass and smaller saltwater species.
- 10’ 7wt this option has the extra foot in length, which can be helpful to cover even more water. This is advantageous for anglers who are often seated while casting and also provides extra line control when mending and high sticking while nymphing.
- 9’ 9wt / 9’ 10 wt / 9’ 11 wt / 9’ 12 wt these sizes will be most successful when targeting large fish and most saltwater species such as permit, tarpon, barracuda, etc. They will perform effortlessly even when casting 100+ feet and are designed to cover a lot of water whether from a boat or from shore.