Get fast, free advice from an expert
This helmet is great for anyone who is either just getting into mountain biking or just looking to upgrade helmets. Light comfortable and safe, this helmet is great for all types of riding. Whether you are taking it easy on the green trails or doing a long technical day this helmet will keep you protected and comfortable without weighing you down.
- Fit is very comfortable and snug.
- Great protection, covers everything from forehead to neck with MIPS
- Super lightweight with great ventilation helps to stay cool.
- Vents do not close which allows water to get in.
The Smith Session MIPS Helmet is a lightweight helmet for all-mountain, cross-country, and trail riding mountain bikers who want a mid-level helmet with advanced features like the MIPS system. The Session uses Koroyd material to make sure the helmet is breathable while still highly protective. Adjustment is done through a rear dial and buckles on the chinstraps, so riders can be sure of a secure and comfortable fit.
- MIPS System – The Multi-directional Impact Protection System reduces forces on the brain in a crash situation.
- Koroyd Material – Koroyd, Smith's proprietary protective material, has fibers that are strong but hollow. The result is both excellent ventilation and protection.
- Adjustable Visor – The visor can flip to three different positions for trail riding, and is also removable.
The Smith Session MIPS is a visor helmet with a funny new technology in it that I wanted to try out, Koroyd. Smith claims that it absorbs impact better than traditional foams and I'm willing to believe that the claim could be true. Overall, I found the helmet to feel lightweight and comfortable and would put it in my list of best looking helmet options for 2022. The MIPS sublayer is great compared to some other options I looked at and I love that it has a spot built into the helmet for holding my glasses. The main thing about the helmet and it might be a make or break, is the ventilation is not as good as I expected with the Koroyd only allowing good air flor when pointing straight forward. Overall, it's a great helmet and I would recommend it for anyone serious about mountain biking.
- MIPS Sublayer for reducing rotational trauma.
- Koroyd improves angled impact absorption
- Glasses parking building into the frame.
- Ventilation of the helmet is not as good as expected.
This helmet is perfect for XC, downcountry, and trail riders who want a lightweight yet protective helmet at a reasonable price point. It is well ventilated enough for hot summer rides while still being sturdy and protective in the unfortunate event of a crash. Enduro riders would want to consider other helmets.
- MIPS protection in a lightweight package
- Simple and lightweight internal system
- Integrates with Smith brand sunglasses
- Not as full coverage as an enduro helmet
Is this right for you? Chat with an expert to learn more about this product, compare it with similar options and get personalized recommendations