The Curated Take
The K2 Special Effects was a perfect board for me to fill out my current two board quiver. I recently purchased a 2023 Mega Mercury from Capita, and was looking for something on those really deep days, but also a board I could have fun on any days for those more slashy, and tree oriented turns.
The main reason for adding this board to my quiver was due to an upcoming trip I had to Tahoe where it was absolutely dumping. I wanted to have a very powder specific board with a swallow tail because I had heard how much of a difference a powder day is when on a powder specific board, and boy oh boy, were people right.
This board can float, and I mean float! I fluctuate from 185-190 lbs and usually ride a 157, I went and sized down to the 148 for the Special Effects and had no issue at all with this board, the extended waist width, 3D contoured nose, and surf rocker profile floated and turned like a dream even on the steepest of runs.
I used this board for the first time on a 20+ inch day at Heavenly, and it was an absolute joy and had me grinning through the constant face shots!
- The 3D shaped nose
- Powder float, and slashed turns
- Just good times
- Higher speeds on groomers is not the best
- Very wide, a little slow from edge to edge
The K2 Special Effects is a short and wide powder board that has a flat to rocker profile. These features along with the swallowtail shape will allow the nose to float above the snow and the tail to sink, keeping riders above the powder on deep days. This board is meant to be sized down, which will create a surfy feeling. Great for any advanced riders who want something to ride on the deepest of days. Key Features:
- Sintered 4000 Base – This base will be very fast, durable, and able to soak up a lot of wax.
- ICG™ 10 Biaxial Carbon Glass – These tip-to-tail carbon fiber stringers are integrated into the fiberglass layup for good power transfer and increasing pop, as well as durability.
- Bambooyah™ Blended Core – This renewable and strong bamboo core makes these board extremely durable and able to maintain good snap and pop.
- 3D Nose Contour – The 3D contour in the nose helps the board to float, and gives great turn initiation.