Get fast, free advice from an expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
The Curated Take
This rod is best for an angler looking for a specific or niche rod. That angler wants a rod that is accurate at various distances and can easily throw bigger streamers, bass poppers, and other large wind-resistant flies to predatory fishing think Bass, Pike, Muskie, and other large freshwater fish. The rod is 8'9" in the 6wt to 9wt sizes, 9'0" in the 10wt and 9'3" in the 11wt model. This rod is great for casting front-loaded floating lines, sink tip, intermediate, and full sink fly lines with a lot of backbone to pick up lines off the water to quickly recast at your intended target.
- Fast action rod helps generate line speed to cut through the wind and deliver big flies accurately.
- This rod is made for throwing big flies at bass, pike, musky and other predatory fish.
- This rod works well with floating, intermediate, and sink tip line, it picks up line well.
- This rod is not made for the beginner angler, the fast action rod takes some good timing.
- The rod is made for throwing big flies, think larger streamers, big bass poppers; this rod is not a general all around 9ft rod.
- The rod isn't the lightest rod in the market, it has some heft to it that works well for its intended purpose.
The Sage Payload Fly Rod was designed to throw large, heavier flies. Built with Konnetic technology, the carbon fibers are augmented with resin to produce a stronger, lighter, more sensitive fast-action fly rod. The rod features tangle free Fuji ceramic guides to aid in line management. A heavy duty aluminum reel seat secures the reel to the rod. Fly anglers who throw large heavy flies for large predatory fish would use this.
- Lifetime Warranty – The rod comes with a lifetime warranty against breakage.
- Protective Rod Tube – This rod comes with a protective rod tube for safe storage when not in use.
- Fighting Grip – This rod features a super-plus, full-wells cork handle and durable fighting butt to aid in fighting larger fish.
- 6wt 8ft 9 in (PAYLOAD 689-4) is designed as a streamer fly rod.
- 7wt 8ft 9in (PAYLOAD 789-4) is a bass fly rod.
- 8wt 8ft 9in (PAYLOAD 889-4) is designed for bass fishing.
- 9wt 8ft 9in (PAYLOAD 989-4) is designed for salmon fishing
- 10wt 9ft (PAYLOAD 1090-4) is designed for northern pike.
- 11wt 9ft 3in (PAYLOAD 1193-4) is a musky fly rod.