Get free gear advice from an expert
Eligible product if recommended by your Expert.Check out our Return Policy
We haven't found this product listed elsewhere. If you find a lower price, let your expert know - we'll match it!Check out our Price Match Policy
The Curated Take
This is one of those flies my box is never without. It works any time of year, anywhere, any river and it will catch trout. I love this soft hackle CDC version on tailwater fisheries especially. Fishing it like this as an emerger pattern is super effective and will produce some really quality fish. The bead head helps it get down deep faster and is my first selection 90% of the time unless I see fish feeding right in the surface film. This weighted fly is especially effective when fished in faster riffles or being used to get down quickly in deeper pools.
- Essential Trout Nymph
- Works anywhere
- Great for tailwater fisheries
- Not great for targeting species other than trout
The Pheasant Tail CDC Beadhead Fly by Umpqua is a versatile nymph that trout and panfish anglers would use. Traditionally a great mayfly nymph imitation, this nymph has modifications that allow it to mimic other trout food as well. A flashback wing case and CDC collar add flash and movement to entice fish to strike.
- Jig Hook – Tied on a jig hook, this fly will ride point up, decreasing snags on the bottom.
- Bead Head – The bead head adds extra weight to help this fly sink faster in the water column.
- CDC Collar – This subtle twist on the original fly recipe adds extra motion to induce strikes.